Melbourne Water Confined Space Entry
This course is designed for Melbourne Water personnel and contractors whom are required to work in or on Melbourne Water confined space assets. Work in / entry to confined spaces shall conform to relevant legislation and AS2865 (or its authorised update or replacement) and to relevant Melbourne Water policies and permitting system requirements.
MSMPER200 Work in accordance with an issued permit.
This unit requires the ability to:
- Read and correctly interpret required documentation relevant to the entry
- Speak clearly and unambiguously in English
- Explain, describe and verify sometimes complex needs and issues
- Understand the permit requirements
- Writing is required to the level of completing workplace forms and producing any required reports
- Numeracy is required to the level of being able to correctly differentiate between high and low pressures and temperatures, voltages or masses and interpret gas test/monitoring results
This competency applies to persons who are required to enter confined space, for maintenance purposes, for cleaning, inspection or other reasons. It is required by all persons who are required to enter a confined space, as defined by the standard AS2865 requires reassessment 'at appropriate intervals'. The industry regards reassessment on a two to three year cycle as good practice.
This unit includes:
- Preparing to enter the confined space
- Checking the preparations against the permit conditions
- Entering the confined space
Specific knowledge is required to achieve the Performance Criteria of this unit, this includes knowledge of the following:
- Access and interpret information relevant to specific tasks (eg labels, MSDSs hazchem signs)
- Access and apply hazard controls
- Identify changes to conditions which may lead to the permit being revoked before the job is completed
- Describe and/or explain hazards associated with tasks covered by the permit, types of tests required for the issue of work permits - the types of tests to include, atmospheric/oxygen/ breathability, flammability/explosivity, toxicity/TWA, temperature, humidity
- Interpret and respond to gas test/monitoring results/information.
- Identify a change in work conditions, possible new hazards and so the required hazard controls and obtain re validation of permit
- Implement hazard controls
- Apply CPR techniques as per current Australian Resuscitation Council guidelines.
- Interpret and comply with Melbourne Water policies and permitting systems
Units of Competency
MSMPER205 Enter confined space
MSMPER200 Work in accordance with an issued permit
MSMWHS217 Gas test atmospheres
Students learning outcomes will be assessed using practical activities designed to simulate a workplace and written or oral questions as appropriate.
Classroom theory via PowerPoint presentations, including audio-visual material and practical activities that simulate a workplace.
Please select your state so that courses on the site can be shown for your location.