Health and Safety Representatives Initial (SafeWork NSW Approved)
5 Days: Note this course must be completed within 6 months of course commencement
This course is for Elected Health and Safety Representatives (HSR) and Elected Deputy Health and Safety Representatives (Deputy HSR) under the WHS Act 2011 who have requested approved training. Note: section 72 of the WHS Act 2011 entitles a HSR to attend an initial course of training in work health and safety after being elected. The HSR in consultation with their employer also has the right to choose the course of training they attend.
This course is designed for anyone elected a Health and Safety Representative within the State jurisdiction of NSW
Language and Literacy requirements for the course are:
• Writing is required to the level of completing written in-class activities.
• Reading is required to enable the determination of information through the student manual.
Photo ID must presented to the trainer at the commencement of the course, as per SafeWork NSW Conditions of Approval.
The purpose of this course is for you to acquire the knowledge and skills required to enable you to exercise your new powers and fulfil your role for the purpose of promoting and ensuring the health and safety at work of members of your work group. The course meets the requirements for elected Health and Safety Representatives (HSRs) and deputy HSRs under the WHS Act 2011.
The course content covers:
- WHS Legislation and supporting materials.
- WorkCover role and enforcement measures Requirements for consultation on work health and safety issues and workgroups.
- Requirements, functions and powers of a HSR.
- Role of the Health and Safety Committees (HSCs) and other arrangements.
- Managing Risks
- Workplace Inspections
- Issue Resolution and Negotiation Skills Provisional Improvement Notices.
- Requirements for directing unsafe work to cease.
This course is delivered by NSCA.
Unit of Competency
Certificate of Attendance will be issued to successful students on completion of course.
There is no formal assessment as part of this course. Upon successful completion, participants will be issued with a Certificate of Attendance.
Training will be delivered within a public training facility utilising theory and practical activities. Delivery will include instructor led presentations / scenarios.
Please select your state so that courses on the site can be shown for your location.